Up-side-down in Seattle


As I write this, I have reached the 6-week point in my visit to Seattle this summer.  During that time, I got to experience the very up-side-down phenomena of this whole (pavement-heavy) region’s changing temperatures.   Spending 5 days “in the asphalt oven” at 100+ degrees with high humidity and no wind was difficult to bear, and hearing pleasant “tales of the monsoons” from Uno at home as he enjoyed 80-85 degrees with breezy showers just added to the torture.  

 

A suffering Rhododendron shrub

 

 

 

 

 

 

Needless to say, I was as green as the Arivaca hills with jealousy, and blue with pity as I saw some of Seattle’s renowned greenery turning brown and dry.


Thankfully, the “oven” turned off again, and temps have gone back to the typical 75-80 degrees and breezy. But the best part of my visit here is that I have been able to spend much of my time at Magnuson Children’s Garden, a colorful and peaceful oasis that has delighted me for each of the 18 years I have volunteered here.  This ½-acre garden overflows with the sight of blooming shrubs and perennials, the sound of grasses blowing in the wind, the touch of soft leaves, taste of yummy veggies, and the smell of fragrant roses and herbs.   

 

A blooming Hardy Banana Tree! (Musa basjoo)

This year, likely due to the increased temperatures, its Hardy Banana tree bloomed for the first time and is bearing tiny fruit!  However, even on the hottest days, children and families who visit can always find cool shade inside the Willow House, in the Log Pile “building zone” under the giant Deodar Cedars, or up in the Lookout surrounded by pillars of oak.  And there’s plenty of sun to be had at the Grey Whale Garden, Tide Pool and Bog Gardens, spiral paths, and much more.

 

Tiger Swallowtail on a Daylily

 

 

July 10th stewardship event

I’m going to be so happy to get back to my beautiful desert garden in Arivaca this month, but it will be a little sad for me to have to say goodbye to this garden again too.  Besides my 18 years on the Children’s Garden Committee and leading at least a hundred volunteer stewardship events, I spent countless hours there from 2005-2017 teaching nature programs for kids and families for the Seattle Parks Department.  

 

July 10th stewardship event

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In a way, I will always have a home in Seattle, there inside the “green walls” of Magnuson Children’s Garden.

Some of the 240 ceramic tiles that kids made

Would you like to take a virtual garden visit, and also see the fabulous new mural that’s being created by local youth?  Check out all the magic from the comfort of your own home at www.MagnusonChildrensGarden.org or www.facebook.com/MagnusonChildrensGarden!

Popular posts from this blog

The Fabulous Grey Fox

How Did I Get Here?

In Living Color